3utools developers have tried and created software suitable for the average user of the device on the iOS platform, and for masters of phone repair and motherboard soldering. For training in Board soldering in Bgacenter, 3uTools is used on an ongoing basis. Let’s learn about the benefits and applicability of this program.
To start using it, you need to download 3uTools. We recommend downloading from the developer’s site: 3u.com. The next step is to install it on your PC. You should immediately make a note that this software is designed for the Windows operating system. If you own an iMac or MacBook, you need a little more effort to install it. One option is to install the VM on your Mac first.
How to use it 3uTools
After installing the program, connect the iPhone via a Lightning/USB cable. From the experience of performing more than 1000 iPhones firmware, we recommend using the original cable. As the masters say “out of the box”. There are two possible options when connecting:
- The device is not detected by the laptop, see the material on the topic of phone malfunction at the link below-phone Malfunction.
- If everything is good and the iPhone is determined, we have the main menu. The article deals with the client iPhone 7, imei and serial number retouched in Photoshop.
When connecting the phone for the first time, you must enter the screen password and click on “Trust this device” in order for 3uTools to determine the device to connect. For subsequent connections, the detection is performed automatically.
Initial screen. It is available:
- Main menu.
- Side menu.
- Button with information about the battery.
- The button “confirmation Report”.
- A block with buttons for controlling the device (phone or tablet).
- The button “Close iTunes”. Closes the open iTunes program.
- The “Tools”Button.
3uTools home page
Clicking this button opens the following information window.
Information about the battery status
This section will be informative for us:
- The number of times the battery is charged. You can understand whether the battery that is actually in the phone is installed at the factory or was replaced.
- Battery status. Warns of the need to replace the battery. If less than 80%, it is recommended to replace the battery.
The confirmation report
When you click the “Show confirmation report” button, the following report opens:
In the Test Result column, components that were not replaced are marked with the Normal label in green. The test is based on a comparison of serial numbers
If there was a replacement, the program will highlight it in red and make a corresponding entry. In my case, the battery was replaced. If you compare the serial numbers in the columns Ex-factory Value and Read Value, they are different.
Clicking on the “Tools” button opens the following window:
- In recovery mode.
- Reboot. Everything is clear here.Restarts your phone or tablet.
- Switch off. Allows you to turn off the device without using the Power button. This is convenient when you only flash the motherboard, with the power button loop disabled.
- Don’t update iOS. It is forbidden to update the firmware version.
- Easy access. Displays or removes AssistiveTouch from the screen.
- Update. Always try to update version 3 of u Tools to the latest, up-to-date version. Although there is an opinion among some masters that it is better not to update. This is not true.
How to flash your phone yourself
To flash the device yourself, follow the simple instructions:
- Update 3uTools.
- Connect your smartphone or tablet via USB cable to your laptop.
- Make a backup of your data, in iCloud or on your PC.
- Click on the “Firmware and JB” button, then select the required firmware version and click the “Firmware” button. After about 3 to 5 minutes, your phone will flash and restart.
- Activate your phone.
Recommended material in the bgacenter blog on the topic of iPhone firmware follow the link below – how to flash an iPhone.
If the program returns an error when updating (Recovery mode), the phone may not have enough memory (NAND Flash). And in this case, the only option is to flash in dfu mode, with complete data loss. DFU is a recovery mode (Device Firmware Update) for the current version of iOS that is signed on Apple servers.
One of the options is to enter the phone into recovery mode (without pressing buttons), connect it to the computer via the MAGIC cable.
Firmware and JB
The Firmware dialog box contains additional features. Here are some of them:
- Allows you to download the firmware version, start flashing the device, and restore it from a backup.
- Multiple firmware. Using this option, you can flash multiple devices simultaneously. Bgacenter has a large volume of repairs that we perform, and we often use this section.
- Insertions. This is a section of the program for downloading different firmware versions available for a specific device model.
Available firmware versions
Codes of frequently encountered errors during repairs:
- 11% ERROR: Unable to switch DFU Mode to Recovery Mode. You cannot switch DFU mode to recovery mode.
- 20%. Most often this is a malfunction of the phone’s memory. Alternatively, a large number of bad blocks. In this case, the memory must be replaced using the programmer. Recommended material in the bgacenter blog on memory replacement at the link below-IPhone 8 is not included.
- 80% ERROR: Unable to restore device (-1). The device cannot be restored. Quite often, the program returns an error of eighty percent when the Baseband is faulty. Recommended article on the subject of the repair network, the IPhone 7 will not network.
The program has the following advantages (among similar software: iTunes, i4Tools, Test & Check for iPhone (installed from the App Store), iTools, Tongbu, PPHelper):
- The most important plus of the program is the ability to flash all iOS devices. And another feature, 3uTools can download the firmware after a temporary absence of Internet. This feature is not available in iTunes. This is relevant when downloading SOFTWARE for example on iPhone SE (2020), which weighs 3.83 Gb, and does not have a very high download speed.
- Absolutely free.
- You do not need to register to work. You only need a screen password code or a saved fingerprint to unlock your device.
- Quick installation.
- In Russian, since 2017.
- Transferring files to your computer, especially high-quality videos, is fast and easy.
- It is possible to make a full firmware dump.to do this, you need to know your iCloud account and password.
- Support is provided by the developer via email.
- Ability to prevent device updates.
- User-friendly and intuitive interface.
- Designed for the Windows operating system.
- If the Board was changed, with the transfer of chips, then 3uTools will not show this. In this case, you can’t trust 100% when checking. Recommended material in the bgacenter blog at the link below – iPhone 7 replacement Board.
- I didn’t find any more
3 tools is a free professional software for diagnostics and repair of phones and tablets on the iOS platform. It is used by phone repair specialists, for diagnostics and device firmware. You can learn more about how to use 3uTools in the BGA soldering courses.