How to disassemble Samsung Galaxy S9
Illustrated instructions for disassembling a smartphone
BGACENTER Learning Center Information Material
Following our actions described in the article, you, together with the teacher at the bgacenter training center, will learn how to disassemble one of the most popular flagships from Korean smartphone manufacturers. Namely, the Samsung Galaxy S9. So, let’s get down to business, and “pump” knowledge.
- hot air soldering station or separator,
- manual suction cup
- plastic pick for separating cases,
- plastic blades
- Phillips screwdriver
- solvent to remove glue.
Samsung Galaxy S9 + review
Specification S9 +:
- 6.2 ” AMOLED cut-out display with 2960 × 1440 resolution (~ 530 ppi),
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor (SoC) or Samsung Exynos 9810 processor depending on sales territory
- 12MP main camera with optical stabilization,
- additional camera with optical stabilization at 12 and 8 megapixels for selfies
- Headphone Jack and microSD slot
- Degree of protection against water and dust IP68
- OS Android 8.0 Oreo
- SIM card slot
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5 mm audio Jack
- Speaker grille with mesh
- Charging connector, at the top of the machine
Opening case S9+
In order to safely disassemble the S9+, follow the recommendations below (remember that it is your responsibility to repair the device).
Heating with a Hairdryer (you can use a separator), lift the frame and divide the upper and lower parts to the sides.
! Attention: open the case carefully, without excessive effort.
Divide the smartphone into two parts.
Remove the fingerprint sensor. The adhesive edge keeps it on the lid. Use the liquid to separate it.
The flex cable of the fingerprint sensor is also glued. Therefore, when you open the lid, there is a risk of damaging it.
After you unscrew the fifteen screws, a familiar two-piece plate pops up in the middle of the case with a built-in wireless charging coil, antenna assembly and a bottom speaker on board.
Remove the battery
What do you need to remove the sticky battery from your Galaxy phone?
- heat a little
- syringe with a small amount of glue remover
We add some liquid to the small recess in which the battery is held. After a few minutes, the battery will separate.
We unscrew the two screws and disconnect the pair of FPCM connectors securing the motherboard.
The display cable is passed through a slot in the case and latched onto the motherboard. Be careful.
Carefully remove the S9 + board from the phone.
The dual camera is a single device on a single printed circuit board with one connector and is easily detachable.
The total number of S9 + cameras is four. In addition to the (recently removed) dual main camera, we have a selfie camera and aperture cameras.
The headphone jack is equipped with a gasket to protect the phone from moisture. And modularity makes it easy to remove if replacement is necessary.
We hook and detach the assembly of the multi-purpose daughter board with coaxial connecting cables, a microphone, a USB-C connector and spring contacts.
Next comes the second speaker – a speaker that is also a loudspeaker, providing not only stereo sound, but also “surround” sound (which the phone can play).
Motherboard Components: Side A
Side A contains:
- Samsung K3UH6H6-NGCJ LPDDR4X 6 GB DRAM RAM chip overlaid by Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- Toshiba THGAF4G9N4LBAIR 64 GB UFS (NAND ROM + controller)
- multi-band radio frequency module AVAGO AFEM-9096 KM1746
- Qualcomm Aqstic ™ WCD9341 Audio Codec
- Maxim MAX77705F PMIC Power Management Integrated Circuit
- Qualcomm QET410 Converter
- sound amplifier Maxim MAX98512
Side B contains:
- Wi-Fi / Bluetooth module Murata KM7N16048
- NFC NXP PN80T controller
- Qualcomm PM845 (probably an integrated power management circuit)
- Qualcomm SDR845 101 (possibly a radio frequency transceiver)
- Skyworks interface module SKY78160-11
- Qualcomm PM8005 Power Management Integrated Circuit
The display is well glued. In this case, heating with a hot air soldering station helps.
You need to choose the right temperature for heating.
The Samsung screen cable is Star-marked and combines the display and digitizer in one sealed device.
There is another chip on the display – the Samsung S6SY761X touch controller.
Left, S9 + hardware: iris scanner, front camera, IR emitter and proximity sensor.
On the right is hardware support for the similarity of Face ID, including a front camera, an infrared spot projector, an infrared camera, as well as a place for a flashlight and a distance sensor built into the display.
After reading this article, you will get an idea about the process of disassembling the Samsung Galaxy S9 + phone about its components.
We remind you that in our bgacenter training center, you can learn the principles of diagnosis and repair of mobile phones, аnd also get practical skills in soldering bga chips.